Maternity clothes: The 5 essentials
July 17, 2007
If you are newly pregnant, you can feel a little overwhelmed by everything you need for baby and for yourself. Here are the 5 essential garments for a stylish 40 weeks.
1. Jeans: Look for an adjustable waistband, stretch material and a flattering cut, such as bootleg. This would be a good item to splurge on because you will wear probably wear these for a bit after baby is born. As far as design, you have the choice of skinny or tapered leg, boyfriend cut, classic straight leg or, as mentioned above, boot leg.
2. Cargo Pants: Pull on these lightweight, fashionable pants for everything from shopping to lounging. These pants look great with a fitted tee or an empire-waist top. You can find many trendy “maternity” cargo pants, however if you look for ones that have a drawstring waistband, you can probably get away with the non-maternity version.
3. Skirt: Look for a skirt in a basic color (black or brown) with a lightweight material and a stretchy waistband. Pick up solid and print skirts for a versatile look that can be worn with solid tops.
4. Dress: A wrap jersey dress will look great on your pregnant body, and is a perfect look for a date night with your honey. Another good choice? A long maxi dress that can be worth both during and after pregnancy.
5. Tops: Pick up a figure-hugging top with a cute neckline to accentuate your bump. A flirty and feminine empire-waist shirt is also a great look, and you can never go wrong with a fitted tee.
Pictured is the Striped Ruched Dress from Isabella Oliver.
More pregnancy fashion:
Maternity clothes timeline: What to buy now and later